Saturday, June 16, 2012

No progress

I saw my doctor yesterday and had an u/s.  Baby still looks great on the biophysicial profile (the thrill of u/s is definitely gone after having one every week since 34 weeks).  My mom came to the appointment with me which was nice, because it was soooo long.  I waited 3 hours to see the doctor, because she was in surgery.
Anyway, she checked me and I am still only a fingertip dilated and still 50% effaced.  Kind of disappointing, but I figured as much, because I don't feel like anything has changed much in the last week.

My doctor wants to go ahead and start inducing me on Tues night at 40 wk 5 days. I would go in for a cervical check and then decide if I need a cervical ripening agent to proceed.  I'm pretty sure that I would need this.  She wants to use Cytotec which I have read bad stuff about.  I asked her about Cervadil, but she said she hasn't had as much success with the Cervidil.   The one good thing about cytotec that I read is that it can kick you into labor so much that you don't end up needing any pitocin.
I am just nervous about the risk of uterine hyperstimulation.   I hate that I have done so much reading and envisioning about natural birthing and now I am going down the road of a totally interventionist birth. It sucks.  

One of the deciding factors on inducing is when my doctor is on call, which is Wed.   I think I was so worn out at the appt after waiting for 3 hours that I just agreed to whatever she said, but now that I have had time to think about it, I really would rather wait until the weekend to see if maybe, just maybe, I can spontaneously go into labor.  There is no medical reason right now that I can see to be induced.  ACOG doesn't recommend inductions until 42 weeks, unless there is a medical reason.  Amniotic fluid level is good, placenta looks good, baby is happy.
My doctor said that only 5% of women go past their due date.  I don't know if she was talking about their practice or in general, but I know for a fact that in general this is absolutely not true.

So if anyone has any suggestions and advice, I would welcome it.  One minute, I feel ok about the induction and the next I am really nervous and feel like it would be better to give it a little more time.

Should I be eating castor oil omelettes for breakfast?!


  1. My friend used castor oil to induce labor by taking some every 2 hours and walking around the mall (with her mom) until she went into labor. Personally, I was too afraid to do this! I did let the doctor efface my cervex (and seriously regretted it). I would ask to go to 42 weeks to try to go into labor naturally-just my 2 cents.

  2. My dear, you can join my club of "agonizing over natural birth". I had a section booked and cried about it, but had hope of natural labor. Then I followed my OB's advice and moved it up by a week and cried harder. Also ate two deserts at lunch that day, something I will never live down at work. As devastated as I was to not have a natural birth, I couldn't be more greatful now. What I learned is that the most mportant thing I'd to get the baby out, and the sooner the better. I will give you an example of some own who was in your shoes. My friend C wanted a water birth and hoped against hope that she would not be induced. Well, her wish of not having an induction came true. At 12 days overdue, she went into labor for a day or so, then had an emergency c-section to a 9 lb boy. She had to have a CT scan so her litltle guy had to be finger fed before she could breast feed. Waiting doesn't mean it will go the way you think or want. The longer he's in there, the bigger he gets and the higher risk the delivery is. Not to sway you either way. Your call totally. Just having been through it, all I would sayto anyone is: 'you worked really hard to have this child. Get it out, ASAP'. I heard castor oil works. Have a toilet near by. All the best in your decision. Either way, I'm so excited for you.

  3. I'm sorry! I clearly don't have any advice about this, but I just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you. Don't forget that many women have birth experiences drastically different from what they imagined. Babies can be stubborn sometimes : )

  4. Cindy from AustraliaJune 17, 2012 at 4:53 AM

    I have been reading your blog for a while but dont comment often but thought I would add my 2 cents here.

    When I had to be induced with my first I was 40+1 with preeclampsia, a big baby and only 0.5cm dilated and going nowhere fast.
    They did the prostaglandin gel to ripen my cervix twice, 4 hours apart. It got me contracting very very mildly but it was a start at least. Then 9hrs after the first lot of gel they broke my water and hey presto 20mins later I was in full labour with no need for pitocin or being connected to an IV!
    I had a completely natural active labour and 8hrs later gave birth to my beautiful 9lb baby girl who is turning 10 tomorrow! (so this time 10 years ago I was in said labour!)

    I was, and still am, grateful that I never needed the IV as I too believe once you start interfering it more often than not ends in a c-section which I desperately wanted to avoid.
    Having a 'natural' approach to induction was fantastic and I'm glad that's what my doctor did. I don't know why they don't do this as a general rule, before turning to pitocin.

    Absolutely speak up to your OB. If baby is happy in there then why try and evict him before he is ready.

    Good luck with everything and I hope you get the birth that you want!

  5. Yeah that 5% figure sounds nuts bec. almost everyone I know was late (except for me). No advice for you other than have sex, drink some red wine, go for a hike... : ) Good luck and look forward to hearing about your baby!

  6. Please please please please don't let anyone give you cytotec, it's evil stuff, and is actually not approved for inductions and in fact not recommended for pregnant women because of the risk of uterine rupture.
    If there's no reason to be induced before 42 weeks medically then don't do it is my advice. No one can force you, it's always your choice.

    As to getting your labor going on your own I've heard amazing things about acupressure and have a friend who got her labor going at 39w2d with it.

    There's tons of other things to try, sex of course is an easy one! But stay away from the cytotec, walk your ass off and don't approve that induction unless YOU want it!

    Good luck!

  7. Tough decision and I have no insight. However, I do think that doctors tend to get antsy and want to induce these days - it comes down to a personal decision as to whether or not to listen to them. Unless there is a medical reason, you should go with your gut, I think.

    Most of all, I'm just so glad you are almost there! Cannot believe it, and I'm so excited for you to meet your little boy! Keep us posted, I'll be following you....

  8. I read on another blog that acupuncture helps. In fact she had acupuncture one day and the same night her water broke. Other than what I read I don't have much insight myself. I hope he comes decides it is time real soon!

  9. I've heard castor oil can pass through to the baby and make it have a bowel movement in the womb. I would avoid it for that reason alone.
    I am 40wks 4days pregnant, I feel your pain as far as what do you do.