Sunday, September 11, 2011

Get my Juju workin'

Today I went and picked up these two West African fertility dolls that my uncle brought back with him from his stint in the Peace Corps in the 70's.  (see below!) It's a male and a female (2 feet tall).  My uncle and his wife have 4 children and they claim they helped them, so he wanted to give them to me.  They are a little scary and have been up in their attic for 20 years.  I put them on either side of our bedside tables.  I'm hoping they work some magic!  Can you imagine if I brought them out to Colorado with me!

This weekend was good.  The party last night for my cousin who is getting married in December was fun, but I got a headache.  I did take a little bit of imitrex, because I can't stand having a migraine.  This is the last time I am going to take it, because of course Dr. G and the nurse don't want me to take anything except what is prescribed.  So the next 3 weeks are going to be very low-key.  No social obligations.  No stress (yeah right!).

Last Friday, I ran into a friend who was actually the first person in Oxford that I met that was going through fertility treatments.  She and I lost touch a year ago.  She never responded to my emails,  so I thought she didn't want to talk anymore, but she told me when I saw her that she never checks that hotmail account anymore, so that made me feel better.   She is finally pregnant after going though alot to get there, so I am so happy for her.

At the party last night, I told a couple of my friends that I was doing in vitro.  Everyone I talked to was super supportive.  I am so over my fertility struggle being a secret.  I talk openly to my family about it, which is really nice.   The closer I get to the transfer the better I feel.  I am ready to have my consult with Dr. G on Tues at 9:30.  Did any of y'all get the APA test where they test to see if you have any blood clotting problems?  This phone consult is $100.  Is there anything I should be sure to ask him?




7 comments:

  1. I have a fertility goddess on our bookshelf. Hope they bring you some luck!!! Sorry about your migraine...I am crossing fingers I don't get one soon...I haven't had any since starting this last round...must be all the meds...good side effect I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a relief to feel like you can talk to people openly about IVF, etc. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume your Dr. G is my Dr. G = gustofson? I love him! He impregnated me with twins in June. :) I haven't had that test but it sounds like a good idea. Looking forward to watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember for ceratin, but I'm pretty sure I had the APA panel after my miscarriage (which came back normal). Good luck with your phone consult with Dr. G!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the fertility statues! Very, very cool. I had the APA test after my miscarriage (normal) but just found out yesterday that they didn't test for Factor V Leiden, which is also a clotting disorder, so now I have to give more blood to those vampires in the lab! So you may want to ask about that. I'm glad you found supportive people to talk to about IVF and all - it's so much easier when you don't have to carry around this huge secret on top of everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope those statues work their magic!

    I didn't have the APA done at CCRM, but I did have it done at my previous RE. I think it's worth doing. At the very least, it brings you peace of mind and deals with at least one "what-if".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, what cool statues. Just came back from Paris where African art was everywhere - the Parisians are mad for it, just so you know, tres chic. But more importantly, I hope they work for you - they look pretty potent to me!

    ReplyDelete